Author: Z. Ali Sultani
The Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “Good behaviour towards parents by which one can be courteous to them after their demise are to pray Namaz-e-Janaza upon them, make Dua of forgiveness for them, fulfil their religious bequests, maintain relationship with those relatives linked through them and honour their friends. [Abu Daud] “Charity on their behalf after their death (also) earns reward for them.” [Muslim]
We often realize the value of something only after it is gone or we have lost it. Allah Almighty, as the Infinite Graceful, has provided for us many ways to make compensation even after the person has already passed away. This Hadith tells us how we can be dutiful to our parents after their departure from this world, thereby accruing rewards for both them and ourselves.
These ways are:
1. Pray Namz-e-Janaza for them.
2. Pray to Allah Almighty to forgive them.
3. If they had decided to do something religiously goode.g. Hajj or volunteer fasts or Charity work, then fulfil it on their behalf.
4. Be kind to their relatives.
5. Honour their friends.
6. Give charity on their behalf. Instead of crying over our parents, we should do good deeds as this benefits them. This is because we are Sadaqa Jaariya for our parents and they are rewarded for our righteousness.